-by Chris Devonshire Ellis

The much hyped new CD from LA band Guns ‘N Roses is now out – and available on download only at present. The only reason we’re featuring this news is because the soon-to-be-released CD cover is cool, and some of our staff profess to dig their mega-hair air-guitar tune of the past, the long winded angst ballad “November Rain”. Other than that, if crashing guitar chords, incessantly banging drums and the lead singers nascient whine are your thing, then cool, but however the as yet unrevealed secret behind the title is that we’ve found, upon playing it backwards, the entire record does appear to be Axl Rose singing verses from Chairman Mao’s “Little Red Book”. This is the transcript, handily translated into English, although Axl Rose sings it in (not particuarly good) Mandarin, together with literal translations of the original English song titles into pinyin. Track by track:

Track One: Chinese transliteration of title: “Cast Away Illusions”

Translation into English of Axl Rose’s singing (in Mandarin) when the track is played backwards:

“Classes struggle, some classes triumph, others are eliminated. Such is history, such is the history of civilization for thousands of years. To interpret history from this viewpoint is historical materialism; standing in opposition to this viewpoint is historical idealism.”

Track Two: “On Practice”

Transliteration: “In class society everyone lives as a member of a particular class, and every kind of thinking, without exception, is stamped with the brand of a class.”

Track Three: “Contradiction”

Transliteration: “Changes in society are due chiefly to the development of the internal contradictions in society, that is, the contradiction between the productive forces and the relations of production, the contradiction between classes and the contradiction between the old and the new; it is the development of these contradictions that pushes society forward and gives the impetus for the supersession of the old society by the new”.

Track Four: “Chinese Revolution”

Transliteration: “The ruthless economic exploitation and political oppression of the peasants by the landlord class forced them into numerous uprisings against its rule…. It was the class struggles of the peasants, the peasant uprisings and peasant wars that constituted the real motive force of historical development in Chinese feudal society”.

Track Five: “Their Just Struggle”

Transliteration: “In the final analysis, national struggle is a matter of class struggle. Among the whites in the United States it is only the reactionary ruling circles who oppress the black people. They can in no way represent the workers, farmers, revolutionary intellectuals and other enlightened persons who comprise the overwhelming majority of the white people.”

Track Six: “The Situation and Our Policy”

Transliteration: “It is up to us to organize the people. As for the reactionaries, it is up to us to organize the people to overthrow them. Everything reactionary is the same; if you don’t hit it, it won’t fall. This is also like sweeping the floor; as a rule, where the broom does not reach, the dust will not vanish of itself.”

Track Seven: “Carry the Revolution Through to the End”

Transliteration: “A revolution is not a dinner party, or writing an essay, or painting a picture, or doing embroidery; it cannot be so refined, so leisurely and gentle, so temperate, kind, courteous, restrained and magnanimous. A revolution is an insurrection, an act of violence by which one class overthrows another.”

If you want to download the tracks, play them backwards and listen to Axl Rose singing Chairman Mao’s Little Red Book in Mandarin to guitar solos and manic drumming, you can go here.

This entry was posted in Contemporary. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Guns ‘N Roses “Chinese Democracy” – Axl Rose Sings Mao’s Little Red Book When Played Backwards

1. Anonymous says:

Transliteration and enough imagination and you could eventually transliterate everything into anything.

2. Slash says:

Very silly but you just have started a rumor…

3. TRUTH is LOVE says:

First of all the comment about Imagination , I hope isnt meant as mean in anyway. The Death of Imagination which has led us where we are now is what the Catcher in the Rye book is all about, now I must also add that all the songs seem to be directed and sung towards a specific person and a specific Entity as well and released on a very important month and year. The real question behind all of this is, Is it truly for a non violent solution from a non violent person? a strong enough leader to do what is needed? and learn what this whole world truly is? I have searched all over for a reason about his lyrics since “99 O MY GOD, and since there is no real way to find him to ask him. I just truly hope I can ask him somehow before its too late, just like he states in the first song; he isnt the only one running out of time.

So if that is Truly Slash who left a comment, or anyone who knows Axl and how to get a message to him the message is this.

Axl, Thank you for all you have done and went through to get this album out. I would tell you I love you and thank you and forgive you and so would SHE. From your picture on the first page to the picture on Prostitute I got the message, also please tell Trent R. I love his work also and I got his message, Same with Slipknot. If you do get this somehow by the grace of OUR GOD please just re remind me as loud and clear as you already have, on your official website or some format I can can get to. “Yes! its for non violent non evil solutions that only you or your friend know is the way to save the souls”. if you have anything else you want to say in the message please do im sure we will know what it means.

4. Ernie says:

Charles Manson, ladies and gentlemen.

5. Zoran says:

Hahaha makes me laugh at the silly-ness.play roulette

6. I gotta check that out.. So basically all I gotta do is play it backwards thats a little crazy..

7. Ernie says:

When you play Axl forwards it sounds like a cat getting an appendectomy with no anesthesia.

8. The article is very good and the album is awesome too.I will surely play this album and backwards and try to find out what you said.Above all a very interesting post this has been.

9. The post has been really interesting and the album is just too fantastic.I would definitely play and listen to it carefully and would look for what is being said.

10. The ruthless economic exploitation and political oppression of the peasants by the landlord class forced them into numerous uprisings against its rule….coupon codes are great way to save your money when you shopping online.

11. Red Book used to give much to the people.

12. Ernie says:

Not as much as McCall's

13. I find it hard to believe that Axl Rose has the same intelligence as the Beatles(think of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds).

14. Hahaha makes me laugh at the silly-ness.play roulette. watch 500 days of summer online

15. The post has been really interesting and the album is just too fantastic.I would definitely play and listen to it carefully and would look for what is being said.

16. Slash looks like a banker now.

17. Dig Bands says:

This is one of my Favorite band. I always try to heard their song. Especially “November rain” and “sweet child of mine”.

18. This is one of my Favorite band. I always try to heard their song. Especially “November rain” and “sweet child of mine”

19. This is also like sweeping the floor; as a rule, where the broom does not reach, the dust will not vanish of itself.”

20. Anonymous says:

its for non violent non evil solutions that only you or your friend know is the way to save the souls". if you have anything else you want to say in the message please do im sure we will know what it means.

21. Jeff marks says:

I find the following article very interesting.
    Thanks Debt Consolidation

22. Anonymous says:

23. Anonymous says:

It was the class struggles of the peasants, the peasant uprisings and peasant wars that constituted the real motive force of historical development in Chinese feudal society. No

24. Anonymous says:

Road Trip Planner
    sometimes backwards is really the right way but only if the code is too Obvious for the mass or proud to mistake and lead the right one to a new search for Truth and Wisdom…
    towe Ski

25. I also like this red book

26. I will always remember Guns and Roses as the band that could have saved the day at the Montreal Concert where James Hetfield of Metallica was injured. Instead they just upped and left. Shame as they are a great group.

27. Sherry says:

Thanks for making this lovely post and remind us once again of one of the greatest bands the world has seen. brothers and sisters season 4 episode 17

28. Anonymous says:

Official balenciaga handbags Online Shop – offering you balenciaga inspired fashion and lifestyle for women
    balenciaga handbags

29. COOL. Will try to see for myself what Guns n Roses has done. This is very interesting.

30. Gun N roses are a Chinese culture with an inspiring authentication within.

An article for the said band whom they played some rock music even if Axl Rose sings in a Mandarin, part of China.

And yet thus tells the state of democracy in a different rhythm and therefore this is a combination of music and mixed it with a little Chinese trademark.

31. Wow. Very political. I like Guns and Roses but don’t have this album. I might get it out of curiosity.

32. Ernie says:

That oughta take ya back to the Paradise City.